Do you know?
What does it say on the pediment?
Do you know what does it say on the pediment of the Pantheon? “M.AGRIPPA.L.F.COS.TERTIVM.FECIT” means “Marco Agrippa, son of Lucio, consulate for the third time, built” Read on for more facts about the Pantheon.
Other facts about the Pantheon
- Do you know that this is the third Pantheon since it was first built in Augustus’ time? See the history about the Pantheon here.
- Do you know that it was originally built for all gods. The Pantheon was consecrated in 609. Anything about pagan gods were removed and became a Christian church that dedicated to Saint Maria and martyrs.
- Do you know the whole concrete structure was built without steel reinforcing rods? Oppose to what today’s engineering standard, the Pantheon was cleverly designed, especially the dome, such that the whole rotunda stays upright even without steel rods. If you are interested in the engineering side of the Pantheon, check out this article about its design.
- Do you know that the movie Roman Holiday which features Audrey Hepburn as Princess Ann was shot next to the Pantheon? When you come out from the Pantheon, turn left to the lane Via della Rotonda, there is a little ice-cream shop called Cremeria Monteforte. This is the cafe where Princess Ann, Jo and Irving sat down to have a drink and chat. Now, there is no more cafe, but the gelateria has good reputation of having the best gelato in Rome, friendly staff and not a tourist trap. Don’t miss it especially if you visit the Pantheon on a hot summer day.
- Do you know that if you are in Rome during Pentecost (the 50th day after Easter), don’t miss out the rose petals shower after the Pentecost mass. It’s magnificent and not to be missed. <More detail here>